Carmunnock Conservation Village.
Carmunnock is the only remaining identifiable village within the City of Glasgow boundaries. It lies five miles south of the city centre and is surrounded by green belt land.
The old part of Carmunnock Village was declared a conservation area in 1970.
The name Carmunnock is deemed to derive from the Gaelic Co/re Manaich, the glen or corrie of the monk. Early church records show the name as Cormannoc in 1177 and as Carmanok in 1359. There are references in the records showing there was an early Christian settlement in Carmunnock in the 8th century. In the 12th century the land was possessed by Henry of Carmannock and by the middle of the 15th century, James Lord Hamilton was confirmed in possession of land including Carmunnock. His successors held this land until the middle of the 17* century, when it passed to Stuart of Castlemilk.
Carmunnock lies about 160 metres above sea-level and has views of Ben Lomond and the hills of Arran. In the 18th century it would have been possible to observe the great numbers of trading vessels on the River Clyde. The atmosphere was regarded as pure and healthy and there were plentiful supplies of springwaters. The longevity of villagers was remarked upon in the Statistical Accounts of 1796 and of 1845.
Until 1920 the village was considered a hamlet with houses close to the Church, thus known as a kirkton or common town. The population in the village in 1755 numbered 471; in 1801 it was 700. At present it is about 1500. In the middle of the 19th century the people of the village were described by the Minister as decent in morals but much influenced by the public houses.
Three-quarters of the land in and around the village belonged to the landowners: half was owned by the Laird of Castlemilk; one third by the owners of Cathkin. There were 14 farms within a five-mile radius of the village.
From the 17th century, the Stuarts, Lairds of Castleton, later Castlemilk, and owners of the lands of Carmunnock Parish, wielded great influence over the affairs of the village. Their original estate was in Dumfriesshire on the banks of the Water of Milk and as they expanded Castleton Tower into a splendid mansion, they renamed their estate Castlemilk for their earlier roots.
In 1938, the lands and mansion of Castlemilk were finally bought by Compulsory Purchase Order by Glasgow Corporation for the purpose of building housing. The mansion was later demolished. There remains a handsome old bridge and the beautifully restored stables which were located in the policies of Castlemilk House.
The village is surrounded by picturesque rolling countryside with the early 19th century pattern of thorn hedgerows, the old estate plantations of trees at Netherton and Cathkin and the more recently planted Coulter’s Wood.
The history and development of the village have been dominated by farming, hand-loom weaving and laundry work.
Published by Carmunnock Preservation Society 2008
Link to Webster’s Census of Carmunnock 1755, here
For information on Carmunnock’s War Memorial here.
Information on Carmunnock Heritage Trail , here.
Information on Kirk Life in Old Carmunnock, here.
Carmunnock Kirk : Covenanter Magazine See “Links”
Enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org